Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Childhood Competition

Nickelodeon has been the dominate station for kids, ever since I was born. But recently Disney has been competing very well with shows such as Hannah Montana and movies such as High School Musical. These shows and movies have been so successful that Nickelodeon is trying to borrow from their competition. Nickelodeon started making sitcoms of their own using teenagers as well with good success. Nickelodeon’s revenue has increased significantly over the past two years. Basically this means that they still have more viewers than Disney do. The reason why Nickelodeon still has more viewers than Disney is because they appeal to more people. Nickelodeon runs a program called Nick at Nite that appeals to the older audience. Nick at Nite run shows like George Lopez, Family Matters, Roseanne, and many more. Personally, I feel that Nickelodeon is better than Disney with shows such as X-men and Spongebob Squarepants. I hate High School Musical. I don’t even know how my little brother got hooked on this movie. If I went to school telling my friends that I was watching Hannah Montana and High School Musical every night, my friends would just stare at me with no expression on their faces. But times have change.

6 comments:

  1. I am still laughing at the thought of your friends' expressionless faces! And you're right, Hannah Montana and High School Musical have to be aimed primarily at pre-teen and teenage girls. I grew up with The Walt Disney Hour (it was just one hour on Sunday nights), so when my children were young, Nickelodeon was a fresh, new concept for me. Over the years, Disney got complacent, in my opinion, and this just left that much more room for the competition to expand. I think Nick has done a great job of appealing to all ages (as an adult, I loved Rugrats) with a variety of shows. And the competition can only make Disney try harder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Times have changed indeed. I loved Nickelodian when I was a kid. I miss the easy days of nights ending with Rugrats before I went to bed.

    I don't watch television that much anymore, but I have seen High School Musical and Hannah Montana. I hate Hanna Montana, and High School Musical was tolerable.

    Great post!

    George Lopez is a funny show too, and I miss when they had I Love Lucy, and Bewitched on Nick at Nite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you are right times have changed. Hannah Montana for sure has taken over. The young people really love that show. Nickelodian on the other hand has always been one of my favorite shows. It has always been entertaining for the children and the adults. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine ever being caught watching High School Musical or Hannah Montana. Disney seems to be focusing on young girls instead of both girls and boys. I agree. Nickelodeon appeals to all age groups. From Rugrats and SpongeBob Squarpants for kids to Adult shows like The Andy Griffith show, the whole family can enjoy the channel. Disney focus is and always has been on children and pre-teens so they have a limited audience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nickelodeon has always been one of my favorite channels and it still is. Nick does have a variety of programming for both children and adults. I like the fact that Nick has shows such as Spongebob and Home Improvement on at nights. My dad is a big proponent of the old shows that used to be run on Nick at Nite and are now on TV Land, another Nickelodeon channel. One thing I can't quite understand: What is the big deal about Hannah Montana(aka Miley Cirus)? Her father wasn't really that famous of a country singer. He was a one hit wonder. When I heard news of Hannah Montana and High School Musical, I thought to myself: "Great just what we need, two more fads for these kids." I absolutely hate both Hannah Montana and High School Musical. I wouldn't be caught dead watching both. Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nichelodeon has taken television to new hights as well as its competitors as disney and other choldhood networks. the coming out of thier movies hannah montana and the soon to release jonahs brothers, will be a huge turn out becuase of the media and the demographic that nichelodeon aims at. they have an effect and the amount of popularity of a young child andf thier education towards such shows that nickelodeon and disney proviode.

    ReplyDelete