Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Sci Fi meet Syfy

The Sci Fi channel is officially changing its name to Syfy. I know that you’re probably thinking “WHOOPI Do!” I feel the same as well. The executive vice president said that the brand needed refreshing, I think the brand need a little more than that. To start off, the Sci Fi channel actually have a few good shows but it’s the movies that they be showing which brings it down. They be making movies that really suck. Their movies have unoriginal dialogue, stupid plots, and their movies probably have some of the worst actors I have ever seen. One movie that they show all the time is this movie called "BloodRayne", which is based off a video game. "BloodRayne" is prehaps the most horrible movie of all time, no lie. The main show that was particularly good to me was, Scare Tactics. The most memorable show was when they scared this person with a half man, half rat thing. Just google rat boy if you want a good laugh. If they start creating more shows and actually start showing movies that are actually good, than I think that they can be one of the top networks on television. I think that they have to do more than just changing the name to attract more viewers.

4 comments:

  1. Changing their name from 'Sci Fi' to 'SyFy' is first of all a bad idea. If their channel needs some renovation I agree with you completely and they need to actually start with the content they are presenting to their viewers. Syfy's movie and t.v. shows are horrible. In my opinion the name change is only going to make them less recognizable thus reflecting on them negitively eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just googled BloodRayne and rat boy, and I haven't stopped laughing yet! It's going to take more than a name change to fix this channel. Lately, it seems like a rash of companies are changing packaging for their products, and as Malori points out, this can cause real confusion among consumers, especially if the product is essentially the same. SyFy sounds cooler, but if the same old movies continue to air, viewers are not going to like them any better just because the name has changed, as you pointed out, Jalil. Maybe the name should be changed to the Comedy Channel since some of the movies are so bad, they are actually funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't lie.. I had a little trouble reading and understanding your blog. But I don't think that would help to change the name either.

    Maybe that is because only a certain type of audience cares to watch Sci Fi and our age group is not one of them. I think the best shows comes on the Sci Fi channel only on Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually liked the name Sci Fi. SyFy makes the channel sound incredibly kiddish, and furthermore makes the program unattractive to me. I also agree that it needs a new make-over as far as television programs go.

    Come to think of it, other than Scare Tactics, I cannot remember the last time that channel appealed to my interests.

    ReplyDelete